Monday 29 April 2013

Hair donation - My experience

Crazy top knot before bed!
Back in February I made the decision to cut my hair.  I'd been growing it for a little over 18 months, and it was starting to get to the stage where it was annoying the heck out of me.  I was finding that when I went to bed, I'd have to pile it all on the top of my head in a top knot, just so it wouldn't get wrapped round my neck!
I then thought to myself, if I'm going to cut off all this hair, I may as well do something with it, I was never massively aware of hair donation, but after some google based research and sending some tweets to various charities, I chose to donate to the 'Little Princess Trust'. They're a charity who provide wigs for children who've lost their hair through cancer or alopecia, as well as other conditions.

Before the cut.
Going into the hairdressers, I was quite nervous, the last time I'd had my long hair cut short I was 16, and I woke up the next morning and cried, I instantly regretted it. This time round however I haven't regretted it once. There are several specifications in order for hair to be donated. Once we'd tied my hair off into two loose pigtails, we went for the cut, in total I had 8inches cut off. It felt very odd at first, and every time I walked past a mirror, it took me by surprise that it was a lot shorter.

Once it'd been cut we put the hair (still in their two pigtails) I put them in a Ziploc bag, filled out the donation for on the website and popped it in an envelope and sent it off.  Around 3-4 weeks later I received a certificate thanking me for my donation.

I'm lucky that my hair grows fairly quickly, in the 2 months since I had it cut its already grown about 1.5 inches! As a result of this, I've decided that I'll grow my hair long again, and then get it cut in order to donate it. I like the idea that instead of being swept up and put in the bin, its being made into a wig, and making a difference to a child's confidence! I urge anyone who is considering donating their hair to charity to do it! The way I see it, even if you hate it, it'll grow back, but at least you made a difference to a child by cutting it!

Before and after.

No comments:

Post a Comment